Everyone wants to have a white smile, but you may notice that your pearly whites have started to look more like pearly yellows. You always want to look your best, so here is some information about the substances that stain teeth and how you can reverse this process.
What Causes Tooth Stains?
How does a white, shining smile darken and develop unsightly discolorations? Here are a few common causes:
- Foods and drinks, especially red wine, coffee, and tea
- Age, because tooth enamel thins over time
- Tobacco use
- Injury to your teeth
- Medications like chemotherapy, antihistamines, and antipsychotics
How Can I Brighten My Smile?
If your smile has become stained due to the circumstances and substances listed above, don’t worry. There are several ways you can restore the white color of your smile, including:
- Whitening toothpastes that contain mild abrasives which can get rid of surface stains
- At-home bleaching trays or strips containing peroxide gels
- In-office teeth whitening where we use hydrogen peroxide or carbamide peroxide as well as a dental laser to break up stains and lighten tooth color
By avoiding staining substances, you can maintain the appearance of your beautiful smile; by using teeth whitening options, you can restore your natural tooth color. Call Always Dental Care at 484.392.7687 to learn more about how to keep your pearly whites shining.